Gluten free chile verde recipe. Fall always inspired me to cook and with the summer garden's tomatillos and peppers overtaking my refrigerator, chile verde seemed like the perfect dish. This is a simple recipe packed with a lot of flavor that I served over a bed of cauliflower rice, but would be excellent in a burritio, enchilida, or over nachos.
If you want to try cauliflower rice, checkout my recipe on how to get the cauliflower taste out, so it tastes more like rice. Rice is an inflammatory food for me, and I've tried faux cauliflower rice before and wasn't very impressed. I think the strong cauliflower flavor competes with the rest of the meal. Then I added a step to making cauliflower recipe and I was thrilled by the results. Check out how to make cauliflower fried rice, recipe here!
If you are looking for cauliflower rice chicken recipes or cauliflower rice Mexican recipes, then try out this Chicken Chile Verde recipe and serve over cauliflower rice.
I used left over chicken for this recipe, so it sped up cooking time. I strongly believe food is medicine, and is how I manage my autoimmune disease. Needless to say food is our biggest expense, also being a single mom on a budget I know how much the grocery bill can sting and the cost of healthy organic foods.
I have learned a few tricks to make the dollar stretch. If you are looking for how to eat healthy on a budget recipes, chicken is an amazing budget friendly meat and stew type dishes are too! This dish is both.
Gluten Free Chile Verde Recipe
Back to chicken chile verde, this is my take on chile verde with the ingredients I had on hand from my summer garden, and it turned out amazing. It's a new keeper in our family, even my picky toddler loves it including the cauliflower rice, woohoo!
Gluten Free Chile Verde Recipe
This chicken chile verde recipe goes great served over a bed of cauliflower rice.
- 2 small Red Bell Peppers
- 2 large Green Bell Peppers (anahiem or poblano or great options too!)
- 1 large Onion
- 2 large Chicken Breasts
- 1 tbsp Butter or cooking oil of choice
- 1/2 tsp Cumin spice
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 stick Cinnamom
- 1 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- 1 lb Tomatillos
- 1 cup Bone broth or Chicken Stock
- 1 large Russet Potato
- 4 cloves Minced Garlic
- Husk and wash tomatillos. Then dice onions and peppers. Add cooking oil to pot and saute onions, peppers, and chicken. Chicken can be precooked or raw. Season with cumin and 1/2 the celtic salt.
- While the onion and peppers is sauteing, mince garlic, peel and dice potato. When onions and peppers begin to brown add potato and garlic. Season with garam masala. When you begin to smell the garlic, add the bone broth/stock to deglaze the pot. My ceramic dutch oven is my favorite pot for these type dishes. Turn heat down to a low simmer.
- Chop tomatillos into quarters and add to pot. Add remaining salt and simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours. Cooking time depends if raw or precooked chicken is used. Cook until chicken is tender and is easily shredded with a fork, then remove from heat.
- When chicken is tender, remove chicken from pot. Shred chicken with 2 forks, and remove any bones if using bone-in chicken. After shredding return chicken to pot.
- Serve gluten free chicken chile verde over nachos, rice, wrap into a burrito, or over a bed of faux cauliflower rice. Optional garnish: fresh chopped cilantro and raw kefir or sour cream.
This gluten free chile verde recipe is easy and full of flavor. It's also a good go to dish if you need left over chicken dinner ideas. If you want paelo friendly chile verde, then leave out the potato.
It definitely is one of our new favorites and works perfectly with cauliflower rice, though it would make an amazing burrito or nacho topping. Are you inspired to give this easy chile verde recipe a try?
You May Also Like
FREE Printable : Life Goals Planner
Subscribe below and receive a free printable Life List planner
Get your life goal planner and start your Life Lists now! A fun simple listing exercise to boost inspiration, motivation, mindfulness, and focus. Live with inspiration.
Get your printable delivered to your inbox!