This is cinnamon bliss. It’s not too sweet and makes the perfect pairing with coffee or tea. It’s gluten free and easily made dairy free too. This recipe is a gluten free adaptation found at gogogogourment.
I decided to experiment Mother’s Day morning. It was a busy morning of making my mom’s gardening gift, and baking a gluten free coffee cake for my grandma. This treat is not healthy by any means, but sometimes a sugary treat is just what the soul needs. This gluten free experiment was a success. It held together when slicing, and was moist and fluffy with delicious buttery cinnamon crumble layers. My grandma and I enjoyed this cinnamon bliss over a cup coffee while chatting up the afternoon.
Cinnamon Bliss Coffee Cake
Prep: 20 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Serve: 6 (I don’t share well though ?)
1.5 Cups of oat flour
.5 Cups of starch corn or potato
1 duck egg or 2 chicken eggs (Duck eggs maybe a good alternative if you are allergic to chicken eggs, read this)
1 stick of butter, softened
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk (almond milk or any other milk alternative works well too)
Filling & Topping
8 tb butter, softened
1/2 cup starch
1/4 cup oat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tb Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar, scraping down the sides occasionally. Then mix in the vanilla and egg(s)
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Then add to the mixer, and when mostly combined, add the milk.
- To make filling & topping: in a small bowl, use your hands and work ingredients together, until soft crumbs form.
- Take a piece of parchment paper or foil, fold into a rectangle, place in bottom of a 9×9 pan, leave long edges rising above opposite sides of the pan. Gluten free can be a bit more delicate, the parchment paper makes lifting the cake out of the pan much easier. Grease down sides and parchment paper. Pour ½ the cake batter, and spread to all four corners. Follow with a layer of 1/2 the cinnamon crumble filling, then pour in remaining cake batter, and spread carefully across the top, to avoid disturbing the filling layer as little as possible.
- Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon crumble mixture over the top and press lightly so it adheres.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack before serving.