Gluten Free Cinnamon Bliss Coffee Cake
This is cinnamon bliss. It’s not too sweet and makes the perfect pairing with coffee or tea. It’s gluten free and easily made dairy free too. This recipe is a gluten free adaptation found at gogogogourment.
I decided to experiment Mother’s Day morning. It was a busy morning of making my mom’s gardening gift, and baking a gluten free coffee cake for my grandma. This treat is not healthy by any means, but sometimes a sugary treat is just what the soul needs. This gluten free experiment was a success. It held together when slicing, and was moist and fluffy with delicious buttery cinnamon crumble layers. My grandma and I enjoyed this cinnamon bliss over a cup coffee while chatting up the afternoon.
Cinnamon Bliss Coffee Cake
Prep: 20 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Serve: 6 (I don’t share well though ?)
1.5 Cups of oat flour
.5 Cups of starch corn or potato
1 duck egg or 2 chicken eggs (Duck eggs maybe a good alternative if you are allergic to chicken eggs, read this)
1 stick of butter, softened
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk (almond milk or any other milk alternative works well too)
Filling & Topping
8 tb butter, softened
1/2 cup starch
1/4 cup oat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tb Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar, scraping down the sides occasionally. Then mix in the vanilla and egg(s)
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Then add to the mixer, and when mostly combined, add the milk.
- To make filling & topping: in a small bowl, use your hands and work ingredients together, until soft crumbs form.
- Take a piece of parchment paper or foil, fold into a rectangle, place in bottom of a 9×9 pan, leave long edges rising above opposite sides of the pan. Gluten free can be a bit more delicate, the parchment paper makes lifting the cake out of the pan much easier. Grease down sides and parchment paper. Pour ½ the cake batter, and spread to all four corners. Follow with a layer of 1/2 the cinnamon crumble filling, then pour in remaining cake batter, and spread carefully across the top, to avoid disturbing the filling layer as little as possible.
- Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon crumble mixture over the top and press lightly so it adheres.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack before serving.